      1. Fw: NERAL NEWS: Art Upgren wins Walter Scott Houston Award/NERAL Meeting at Stellafane
           From: "Maryann V. Arrien" <arrien@optonline...>
      2. Ordinance lawsuit threatened
           From: "Roger L. Hammer" <hamme1rl@cmich...>
      3. Re: Ordinance lawsuit threatened
           From: kgfleming@att...
      4. Deadline for September IDA Newsletter fast approaching
           From: Tim Poulsen <poulsen@netacc...>
      5. Re: Ordinance lawsuit threatened
           From: George Nickas <nickas@hanover...>
      6. Re: Ordinance lawsuit threatened
           From: "Barry Clark" <bajc@alphalink....au>

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:00:17 -0400
   From: "Maryann V. Arrien" <arrien@optonline...>
Subject: Fw: NERAL NEWS: Art Upgren wins Walter Scott Houston Award/NERAL Meeting at Stellafane

PRESS RELEASE: For immediate release 7/30/03
Feel free to pass on this news to anyone who may be interested.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The North East Region of the Astronomical League (NERAL) proudly announces that
Dr. Arthur Upgren, astronomy professor and author at Yale and Wesleyan Universities,
will be the recipient of this year's
WALTER SCOTT HOUSTON AWARD
being presented at this year's Stellafane Convention on Saturday evening.

Dr. Upgren is a member of many astronomical societies including the AAS, the IAU, (& Commission 50), the AAVSO and serves on the Board of Directors of the International Dark-Sky Association. He travels extensively promoting the interests of amateur and professional astronomers everywhere, does scholarly work in the study of Light Pollution, and is the author of The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, The Turtle & the Stars, and many other books on science, weather and astronomy.

There will also be a NERAL meeting at Stellafane on Saturday Aug 2nd at 4:00PM under the food tent at Stellafane East.
Anyone interested in attending our NERAL meeting may do so - it is open to anyone interested in astronomy and dark sky issues in the Northeast Region of the US.
Some of us may remain to enjoy the food tent's famous BBQ dinner served around 5:00-ish.
Come and enjoy!

Clear, dark skies,
Maryann Arrien
Chair: NERAL
North East Region of the Astronomical League
website:
http://home.twcny.rr.com/datahold/neral/
845-528-7420
Arrien@optonline...

PS- The Legendary JOHN DOBSON will be a guest at Stellafane all weekend. He will be 88 yrs old this September!
www.Stellafane.com
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
WALTER SCOTT HOUSTON AWARD of the North East Region of the
Astronomical League (NERAL)

In Recognition of his many years of ongoing Service to Professional Astronomy as an active Member of the American Astronomical Society,
The International Astronomical Union and its Commission 50 on Light Pollution,
his Virtuosity as a Author of science books and articles,
his substantial Efforts in Preserving the Night Sky
through his Scholarly Research on Light Pollution,
his Educational Efforts on behalf of the International Dark Sky Association,
and in particular his Sky Studies which helped to Preserve
The Dark Skies over Stellafane, we hereby present this Award to

Dr. Arthur Upgren

Presented this day, August 2, 2003 at Stellafane
In fond remembrance of Deep Sky Observer,
Science Writer and  ATM Historian,
Walter Scott Houston.

Message: 2