[DSLF] Digest Number 1725

There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re:Light and the magnetic compass
           From: "Friedel PAS" <friedel.pas@bvpartners...>
      2. Novelty in lighting domain !
           From: outdoor lighting <electricals_designing@yahoo...>
      3. Re: Light and the magnetic compass
           From: KDConod <kdconod@yahoo...>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue,  2 Aug 2005 08:57:04 +0200
   From: "Friedel PAS" <friedel.pas@bvpartners...>
Subject: Re:Light and the magnetic compass

A biologist that did a literature study for the Dutch government mentioned also that birds magnetic compas can be disturbed by light. He presented that also in a presentation on the 5th European Symposium for Protection of the Night Sky.

It seems that especially yellow lights (NaLP) is disturbing the compass of this birds. I have a paper about it in Dutch. But that is the only aspect that I know that NaLP has a damaging effect until now. Good shielded lighting can ofcourse avoiding this effect too, but especialy for NaLP their are no good fixtures on the market here.

Regards,

Friedel

VanDarkSky-list@yahoogroups...

NaarDarkSky-list@yahoogroups...

Cc

DatumMon, 01 Aug 2005 16:23:05 -0600

Onderwerp[DSLF] Light and the magnetic compass

> Last wk a comment was made that light was not involved in
> magnetic compass orientation in animals. Jack Sales sent me
> this 2001 paper which refutes that statement. Seems the pineal
> gland distinguishes between long and short wavelengths of light
> and that affects magnetic orientation, at least in amphibians
> and fish.
>
> Similarly, the human eye's retinal ganglion cells that innervate the
> circadian clock center which in turn tells the pineal gland to
> produce or suppress melatonin are more sensitive to short wavelengths
> (blue light at 464 nm) than the longer wavelengths of red light.
>
> Do humans have a magnetic compass? I read about one account by
> Hawaiian & Polynesian voyage re-creator Nainoa Thompson:
> Nainoa used this sense one night on a voyage to Tahiti without any
> compass or other navigational aids.

SNIP

> http://www.biol.vt.edu/faculty/phillips/behavlab/publications/phillips-2001.pdf
SNIP

Friedel Pas
Voorzitter
Preventie Lichthinder vzw
Gallifortlei 114
2100 Deurne
Tel.: +32-474-50.17.95
e-mail: friedel.pas@jvsorion...
http://www.preventielichthinder.be

Visit the site of 5the European Symposium for Protection of the Night Sky:
http://www.darksky-symposium2005.be
info: info@darksky-symposium2005...

Message: 2