[DSLF] Digest Number 1510

There are 12 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Lighting, Crime, White vs. Yellow, Etc.
           From: Robert DiStefano <motorinstructor@yahoo...>
      2. RE: Lighting, Crime, White vs. Yellow, Etc.
           From: Darren Baskill <dbl@star....ac.uk>
      3. metal halide
           From: Susan Harder <lookout@hamptons...>
      4. Re: Garstang model
           From: "David Keith" <david.keith@mindspring...>
      5. Light Impact on Fauna
           From: Mike Hansen <mhansen@einhornresearch...>
      6. Re: Re: Garstang model
           From: Yvan Dutil <yvan.dutil@sympatico...>
      7. Re:  Light Impact on Fauna
           From: Mysids@aol...
      8. criminal lights
           From: Susan Harder <lookout@hamptons...>
      9. Re: Light Impact on Fauna
           From: "patric@ghostriders..." <patric@ghostriders...>
     10. RE: criminal lights
           From: "Greg Crawford" <gc@nelsonbay...>
     11. File - AccountReactivation.txt
           From: DarkSky-list
     12. File - SplitLink.txt
           From: DarkSky-list

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:25:10 -0800 (PST)
   From: Robert DiStefano <motorinstructor@yahoo...>
Subject: Re: Lighting, Crime, White vs. Yellow, Etc.

In 1973, New York City's Mayor Lindsay announced that the city will replace all of its Mercury Vapor lights with HPS.  The principal reason that he gave was that the crime rate would go down.  The project was implemented and in three years, the whole city was relit. Now that same excuse is being used in Glasgow to replace HPS with halide.  Of course its all about money!  In five years  LED's will replace all of the current technologies for the simple reason is that it is very cheap. NYC already has decided to start replacing HPS with LED's in 2 years when the price goes down considerably.  The bottom line is that the economy is the principal factor that drives these decisions.

"patric@ghostriders..." <patric@ghostriders...> wrote:

Robert DiStefano wrote:
> Hats off to Glasgow! Finally some common sense in regards to lighting. Its about time that we get rid of that ugly orange sky glow.
> http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1358002004

There's a vague reference to optical control (which might be Cutoff,
semi- or full-cutoff optics) but their apparent belief that glare
abatement is a product of spectra is pure folly. I would also like to
see the source that says it cuts crime by 20% ...the long-since debunked
report from the Home Office perhaps?

The parties in question are apparently unaware of optical control that
cuts glare and waste light is also available for warmish- High Pressure
Sodium as well as the coldish- Metal Halide lamps, or know that Rayleigh
Scatter from blue-spectra light sources results in 3-4 times the skyglow
of the Sodium lights they are replacing
(http://www.resodance.com/ali/compcost.html)

I would be surprised if a city this size makes such a blunder solely on
the "data" of a lighting manufacturer. These people deserve the rest of
the story. Was the International Darksky Associations Scotland Section
asked for help on this?
Patric.

  Robert DiStefano

Subwaywebnews.com