[DSLF] Digest Number 1462

There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Billboards, revisited
           From: "patric@ghostriders..." <patric@ghostriders...>
      2. Dark Skies PA
           From: KDConod <kdconod@yahoo...>
      3. Annoying physicists again...
           From: Darren Baskill <dbl@star....ac.uk>
      4. Re: Annoying physicists again...
           From: "ctstarwchr" <ctstarwchr@aol...>
      5. RE: Dark Skies PA
           From: "Michael Stephan" <mstephan@kconline...>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:38:51 -0500
   From: "patric@ghostriders..." <patric@ghostriders...>
Subject: Billboards, revisited

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/special_packages/business_monday/9575066.htm

I recollect a string of harassment suits filed some time ago by the
outdoor sign industry against communities trying to abate eyesores, and
am curious as to where the case of 'commercial speech is protected
speech' stands today in the courts?
It would be a shame to spend so much time on a lighting reform ordinance
only to have a major polluter given a blanket exemption.

Surely if a community can say no to liquor advertising outside schools
it can protect motorists from being visually disabled by _ahem_
'spectacular signage'.
Patric.

Message: 2