[DSLF] Digest Number 1456

There are 2 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: definitions
           From: Bernard Kosicki <kosicki@ll....edu>
      2. Re: definitions
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:58:42 -0400
   From: Bernard Kosicki <kosicki@ll....edu>
Subject: Re: definitions

At 11:39 PM 9/21/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>  > It is
> > pointed out, as Gail suggests, that an FCO luminaire also is Fully
> Shielded.
>

>Over the years I have collected a number of photos illustrating light
>trespass, and some of the big offenders include improperly placed FCO
>fixtures.
>Given that, shouldnt a time-tested definition of 'fully shielded' be
>based on outcome performance rather than stock, off-the-shelf luminaires
>marketed as a 'one size fits all' solution?
>Patric.

Patric,

You are right, of course, that FCO designation alone is not the whole
story.   To manage glare and light trespass, we need to know how close
these lights are to sensitive areas, how high they are mounted and their
cutoff properties.

Peter Talmage and the other Kennebunkport folks recognized this and built
into their 1992 ordinance their well-known restriction that lights must be
no taller than 3 + D/3, where D is the distance of the pole from the
property edge.   This won't completely eliminate light trespass, unless the
luminaire is cutoff in the direction of the property no more than 71
degrees (somewhat better than the nominal 80 degrees of an FCO.)

In Acton's new ordinance, we therefore called out for additional shielding
to accomplish 70 degree cutoff for luminaires closer than D/3 to the
property boundary to adjacent sensitive properties (public rights-of way or
residential or conservation land).  We also have a requirement that
measured light trespass onto such properties be less than a maximum amount,
as a performance measure.  It is our feeling that performance measures
alone are not adequate, however, and that hardware specification is also
needed to be effective.

It would be nice if manufacturers made it easier to find and more prominent
on their web sites both house side shields, and families of luminaires that
have sharp cutoffs on one side.  Then, less expert lighting designers than
make comments in this forum would have better access to these products.

Bernie Kosicki

Message: 2
>shouldnt a time-tested definition of 'fully shielded' be
>based on outcome performance rather than stock, off-the-shelf
>luminaires marketed as a 'one size fits all' solution?

Sounds like real engineering to me -- instead of read label,
purchase, install, and run assuming everything is ok.

The "scientific method" tests and then goes back and fixes
any problems and tests again. -sd

Get your name as your email address.

Help save your town from obtrusive lighting --
Invite your Planning and Zoning department and
local officials to join us!  Please visit the IDA & CRL
websites at http://www.darksky.org and
http://www.crlaction.org frequently, too!