[DSLF] Digest Number 1431

There are 2 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Digest Number 1430
           From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@harvee...>
      2. Paper published
           From: Stephen Pauley <spauley@cox-internet...>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:12:06 -0400
   From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@harvee...>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 1430

DarkSky-list@yahoogroups... wrote:
>    Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:57:16 -0400
>    From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
> Subject: Re: Full cutoff post lanterns
>
> Philip Gladsone wrote:
>
>>I've just moved house and, lining my new driveway, I find six post
>>lanterns (on 5 ft posts) that seem to be designed to shine directly into
>>your eyes...
>>
>>Should I be replacing the poles with low level landscape lighting?
>

> LR wrote:
>
>>Decide if the lighting is absolutely needed or just ornamental.  If it's
>>not a necessity, consider removing it instead of replacing it.
>

> Right on!!!  Save the energy for something MORE useful AND
> reduce [all forms of] pollution.
>
> As Cliff likes to say, "Cars have headlights" to see the driveway
> and you probably have streetlights anyway -- or use a flashlight.
>
> After some practice, navigating your new driveway will be "old hat",
> and you will be able to do it in the dark.  8-)   -sd

that's great if you've got young eyes.  But I have some friends getting
up there in years as well as a 76-year-old mother-in-law who is
virtually night blind.  These people really need lights to see their way
down the steps at the end of the sidewalk.  Currently I'm using Malibu
solar power fluorescents[1] but in the wintertime they are only good for
about 45 minutes after sunset.  What I would really love would be a
couple of low voltage lights that are also full cut off.  I may just
convert the solar power fluorescence to low voltage if it's really
necessary but I would like to find something more off-the-shelf.

so as another vote on the question, what's the best way to light up a
sidewalk so that it is bright enough for aging eyes and still full cut off.

---eric

[1] LZ10006:  these are designed as up lights but if you flip the light
housing, you end up with full cut off ground lighting.
--
Speech recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct most

Message: 2