[DSLF] Digest Number 1320

There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: McDonald's
           From: Mike and Dianne Best <mrbdb@bellsouth...>
      2. Megantic LPA Radio-Canada interview
           From: Patrice Scattolin <scattol@videotron...>
      3. Full cutoff floodlight & decorative pendant fixture
           From: ctstarwchr@aol...
      4. a 15 year old boy's plea is ignored.
           From: "deepskyqueen" <bwilson2@ix....com>
      5. RE: a 15 year old boy's plea is ignored.
           From: "Greg Furtman" <starguy@centurytel...>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:18:26 -0500
   From: Mike and Dianne Best <mrbdb@bellsouth...>
Subject: Re: McDonald's

On 4/1/04 4:34 PM, "patric@ghostriders..." <patric@ghostriders...> wrote:

> We can hope there's a cure for cancer some day, but it wont happen
> unless there's a serious effort to do so.
Let's talk about this serious effort. Who has  access to Mickey D's board
room? How do we go about finding out just exactly what they have planned?
With all that is happening nationwide, there must be some "in" that we can
exploit. I think these corporations have to be dealt with on a national
basis, the local approach for them is like swatting flies.  If Wal-Mart is
doing things in certain locales that fit with our philosophy, WHY??? How can
we transform that into not just these "certain locales" but a nationwide
philosophy? How can we move what Wal-Mart does into something that
McDonald's WANTS to do? I think it's time for a re-read of Adam Smith's
"Wealth of Nations" to learn how to broaden our scope and  apply national
marketing concepts to LP abatement projects. I know that I am a slow read,
it takes a lot of hammering to get BIG things into my consciousness, but I
am convinced that while working on a local level, one street at a time, is a
MUST, we still must have a national agenda to accomplish our goals. I have a
relative in the upstairs of Kroger who is fixing to get an earful and I will
see if Kroger can be made proactive in LP abatement. I have seen some very
progressive things that they have already done, so this may not be too much
of a stretch. I know someone is going to tell me that we are already doing
these things, but how do we get more focus and more impact? I know I am
ranting, but dammit, all of these companies are large national or
multinational corporations. This piecemeal approach  will be the death of
us. 'Scuse my  ventilation.

Mike Best

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 21:18:57 -0500
   From: Patrice Scattolin <scattol@videotron...>
Subject: Megantic LPA Radio-Canada interview

You can listen to today's interview (in french) with Chloe Legris with
respect to Light Pollution  :

    http://radio-canada.ca/radio/indicatifpresent/chroniques/34686.shtml#

Time to dust-off your highschool french (or for the european residence)

Message: 3
   Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 22:20:56 EST
   From: ctstarwchr@aol...
Subject: Full cutoff floodlight & decorative pendant fixture

While searching the Thorn web site for a new full cutoff floodlight
I found a great fixture for sports or large area lighting with excellent
educational information on light pollution in this brochure.  Some of
the best I've seen by any manufacturer.

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/pdfs/new_product_brochures/troika.pdf

It would be refreshing if more US manufacturers provided *accurate*
information in marketing literature teaching how to successfully reduce
light pollution with the application of flat lens fully shielded fixtures
that send no direct light above the horizontal plane and mitigate light
trespass successfully.

The Thorn fixture I was seeking is called the Champion.  Someone from
the Campaign for Dark Skies mentioned it and scanned the following ad
from a trade magazine.  The ethics implied are "shine the light on the
stars on the field instead of the stars in the sky."

http://members.aol.com/warboysastro/thornlamp.jpg

Another good decorative product I found is the Legend.

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/pdfs/new_product_brochures/legend.pdf

Thorn also has an outstanding educational section on their web site that
explains Lighting Theory in a very easy to understand manner.  You may
wish to bookmark this one in your browsers for future reference.

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/light/index.html

Too bad they don't have any reps in the US.

Clear skies and good seeing,
Keep looking up!

Cliff Haas
Author Light Pollution Awareness Website (LiPAW)
http://members.aol.com/ctstarwchr
http://www.crlaction.org

Member: IESNA, CRL, NELPAG, AARP

Message: 4
   Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 06:03:54 -0000
   From: "deepskyqueen" <bwilson2@ix....com>
Subject: a 15 year old boy's plea is ignored.

My 15 year old grandson told me this evening, that he has written
numerous letters to Developer's Diversified Realty, in regards to a
developement (shopping) near his home in Helotes, Texas.
http://www.ddr.com
He has asked them politely to replace or tone down the lights in this
new center that has created lots of light pollution.  He tries to use
his telescope in his back yard, which had dark skies when his family
moved there only two years ago.  He has been patiently writing them
letters for over a year now.
They have responded by basically telling him to go away and don't
write them or contact them any more.  He has contacted the executives
in this realty development firm.  It is listed on the New York Stock
exchange as DDR.

This attitude really incenses me.  When so many corporations are
supposedly sensitive to youth and youth causes these days, here is
one REIT that could care less.  I introduced him to astronomy when he
was eight, and now it is a wonderful hobby for him and he is
president of his high school Astronomy Club.

There may not be hope if our youth can not even look up and gaze at
the wonders of the universe, because of some bithering idiot
corporation who cares about nothing but their bottom line.

Thanks for listening,
his grandmom.

Message: 5
   Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 08:22:32 -0600
   From: "Greg Furtman" <starguy@centurytel...>
Subject: RE: a 15 year old boy's plea is ignored.

I went to the DDR website and left the following message there. If enough
people respond, perhaps DeepSkyQueen's grandson might get a positive
response, finally!

"It has been brought to my attention that you have put up a new development
in Helotes, TX within the last couple of years. A fifteen year old boy, who
is an amateur astronomer and was there before your development, has been
trying to get you to do something about the increase in light pollution
because of your development. And you have been blowing him off.

I consider your attitude arrogant and insensitive. You have the
responsibility to consider how your development affects those who live in
the area and respond to their concerns and complaints.

Until your company changes its attitude and behavior, I will go out of my
way to make sure that I never shop at any shopping center that is associated
with DDR.

Thank you for your time."

Greg Furtman
27426 County Road H
Webster, WI 54893

http://fp1.centurytel.net/starguy

"The Universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human
mbition."  - Carl Sagan

"Read my lips. No more Texans." GF

[...]

Help save your town from obtrusive lighting --
Invite your Planning and Zoning department and
local officials to join us!  Please visit the IDA & CRL
websites at http://www.darksky.org and
http://www.crlaction.org frequently, too!
Yahoo! Groups Links