[DSLF] Digest Number 1281

There are 4 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. MH vs. HPS
           From: Steve Pauley <spauley@cox-internet...>
      2. Re: MH vs. HPS
           From: "Bryant Buchanan" <bbuchan@utica...>
      3. Environment and Community Conference Presentation
           From: Mike Hansen <mhansen@einhornresearch...>
      4. Another Police Representative Says Lighting Doesn't Stop Crime
           From: Mike Hansen <mhansen@einhornresearch...>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:57:44 -0700
   From: Steve Pauley <spauley@cox-internet...>
Subject: MH vs. HPS

Fabio

Don't forget the very important light-health issues.
Despite the fact that the general public hates the color
of LPS - lousy CRI - , it's one wavelength of light
(589 nm) and  is the most biologically & ecologically
friendly of all the outdoor street and flood lights.

Melatonin suppression occurs with blue emissions,
and those are found in MH, HPS, MV, fluorescent.  We may
be coming to the day er.. night when, for public health concerns,
we must use LPS for residential street lighting.

At the very least, we need to fully shield the HID
glare bombs or use all fco HID street lights in residential
areas where blue light HID's trespass into bedrooms and
become a health concern - and that would be everywhere.

This invokes the "precautionary principle." The data
are not conclusive yet, but building fast.
There is plenty of research out there now linking
light at night (LAN) to melatonin suppression, increased
cancer cell growth rates with human breast cancers implanted
in rats exposed to LAN.  Add that to the increased incidences of
breast and colorectal cancers in shift workers, and we
are looking at a significant public health risk re exposures
of humans to blue wavelength LAN.

The industry will fight these arguments just like the tobacco
companies fought back in the 70's and 80's.  But I suspect
the industry will eventually have to deal with the accumulation of
data that tells the them it's time to act constructively, not fight.  It
would be far better for the industry to lead the cause for better
health via better outdoor lighting than to constantly
resist accepting the building research by Blask and Brainard & their
colleagues.
Steve P
========================

>   From: "Fabio Falchi" <falchifa@tin...>
>Subject: Re: MH vs. HPS
>
>  So it is fundamental to keep the light in the scotopic band as
>low as possible. It should be time to introduce some forbidden band, like
>the ones in radioastronomy.The lumens of a LPS are far less pollutant for
>the dark adapted eye than the same lumens emitted by a MH lamp.
>Where it is mandatory to have a good color rendition it is not indispensable
>to have an almost contiuum spectrum lamp (like HPS or MH), from blue to red.
>We can have a three monochromatic lines lamp, one blue (less intense, due to
>the more damage produced in the environment by blue light), one green (away
>form the peak sensitivity of the scotopic eye and from Hbeta and OIII lines,
>of course) and one red. This type of lamp pollutes only three very small
>region of the spectrum and consequently it is easily filtered out.

Message: 2