           From: Anthony Arrigo <AnthonyA@UtahSkies...>
      2. Re: Reader's Digest article
           From: suchida@mvc....ne.jp

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:47:17 -0600
   From: Anthony Arrigo <AnthonyA@UtahSkies...>
Subject: Re: glare helps thieves

Susan

This is great stuff... Is it available on-line?

APA

Susan Harder wrote:

>Police Blotter, East Hampton Star, July 24th, 2003
>
>"Despite security cameras and an alarm system, a gray 2002 BMW M3
>belonging to Richard Bryant of NYC was broken into on the night of July
>13, while parked at a Montauk Highway house in Water Mill.  An alarm
>went off in the early morning hours, but the alarm company did not
>notify Southampton Town police, according to their report. A chain link
>fence around the property was cut.
>
>The glare from a bright light prevented the security camera from getting
>a good picture of the culprits, who stole the sports car's wheels and
>its emblem, rummaged through the interior, and damaged the wood knob on
>the shift.  The BMW was transported to Country Imports in Southampton
>for repairs, which were estimated at over $1,000.
>
>Susan Harder
>Dark Sky Society

>Help save your town from obtrusive lighting --
>Invite your Planning and Zoning department and
>local officials to join us!  Please visit the IDA
>website at http://www.darksky.org frequently, too!

Message: 2
   Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:23:09 +0900
   From: suchida@mvc....ne.jp
Subject: Re: Reader's Digest article

Hello all,

After my last e-mail, I did make a few researche about senior lighting
requirements, and found interesting study  below in IEIJ 2002 article.
Its conclusion is worth reading. The excerpts are translated in
English by myself.

Quote:

"Study on preferable illuminance of field environment for aged and
young people" (Michico Iwata, Katsunori Okajima and Hiroyasu Ujiie,
35th Conference of IEIJ 2002)

In the real life field environment, there are objects not only those
require high visual acuity such as printed character or Eye Chart, but
also objects that do not require high visual acuity. There are variety
of visual tasks depending on the living places and purposes, and the
level of required visual performance differs accordingly.

The researchers made a study on the level of visual performance and
also required illuminance by measuring MTF vision of young and senior
ages in the relatively low visual resolution environment, by assuming
the visual
tasks in the real living situation. As a result it is concluded that
contrast sensitivity is dependant to the level of illuminance. (May
2001 Illuminating Engineering Institute of Japan)

As the next step "study of preferable illuminance of field environment
for aged and young people" is conducted. The test samples are 10
people of ages 64 to 80 and 10 from ages 21 to 24.

- snip

Comparing the necessary illuminance level of young and aged, the
difference is small and the level is little higher for the young
people as an overall result.

- snip

It is concluded that the seniors, depending to the level of visual
tasks, do not necessarily require high illuminance level in the real
living field.

End of Quote;

However the conclusion says the required illuminance level is little
higher for the young people, the research actually shows young people
require more illuminance than the seniors in most situations, some
times twice as much as seniors require.

To me it was surprising at first, but later I understood the reality
of young generation's requirement. In the last 10 to 20 years the
young people are living in brightly illuminated environments and are
conditioned to more and more illuminance than the seniors used to.

The eyes of young people could be retrograding gradually. Or are they
just accustomed to live under more lights?

I plan to make more research on this subject.

Cheers,

Shigemi