      1. Re: DOT and FCO lighting
           From: Bob Parks <bparks@volt...>
      2. Hot LP Update for NY
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      3. Re: DOT and FCO lighting
           From: Dave DeSantis <silverliner_12@yahoo...>
      4. Laurel Highlands Star Cruise - 2002
           From: "Terry N. Trees" <TNTrees@BellAtlantic...>
      5. Re: Rochester Democrat & Chronicle Column
           From: Kevin Conod <kdconod@optonline...>
      6. Reminder - DarkSky Online Conference
           From: DarkSky-list
      7. Re: Rochester Democrat & Chronicle Column
           From: saros61@aol...
      8. Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder
           From: "doesper" <DaveOesper@aol...>
      9. costs (fwd)
           From: Jan Hollan <jhollan@amper....muni.cz>

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:43:34 -0500
   From: Bob Parks <bparks@volt...>
Subject: Re: DOT and FCO lighting

Paul,

The "myth" that you refer to is based on an IESNA RP-8 standard for average
illumination. The RP-8 recommends installation of poles/fixtures to achieve
a 6 to 1 average illumination ratio. Switching from a SCO to a FCO fixture
normally will increase this ratio for two reasons. The intensity of
illumination directly below the fixture will increase, and the intensity of
illumination between the fixtures will decrease somewhat. If the lamp in the
fixture is reduced in wattage, so as to produce the same average
illumination provided by the SCO fixture, the ratio is reduced somewhat but
it is still difficult to meet the RP-8 specified 6 to 1 ratio using the same
spacing for the SCO fixture.

This is the one argument that most DOT engineers use in their fight against
conversion to FCO. But if you drive on a roadway that has undergone a FCO
conversion, you will be amazed at how unimportant this ratio really is
compared to the reduction of glare.

However, as long as IESNA continues to specify this ratio, proponents of FCO
have the difficult task of convincing lawmakers/DOT engineers that glare
reduction is more important. At some point it seems like we need to convince
IESNA to revisit this ratio in the RP-8.

Bob Parks
Executive Director
Virginia Outdoor Lighting Taskforce
VOLT.ORG

If you lit your house with bare 250 watt bulbs and no shades, people would
call you crazy. But if you do it outside, they call you a DOT Lighting
Designer.

On 1/27/02 5:10 AM, "DarkSky-list@yahoogroups..."
<DarkSky-list@yahoogroups...> wrote:

>  Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:46:44 -0800
>  From: Paul Greenhalgh <fvas@shaw...>
> Subject: Re: DOT and FCO lighting
>
> Cliff is there anything available that show's (from space) a before and
> after shot of Washington State? Now that would be something to look at.
> Thanks for that link by the way, definitely interesting and helpful in
> future conversations with those in Governmental positions.
>
> The only trepidation I have about FCO lighting is this "myth"  that more
> light is necessary, such as pole placements. Personally I think that there
> is no need to add MORE lights to what is already in place. I think that more
> lights being installed is an attempt to satisfy a false sense of proper
> lighting or security. Am I way out in left field here or what?  It seems to
> me that initially once FCO lights are installed there is this rational that
> what is not seen, (Glare, or fixed point of light, or observable light)
> causes the rational to install more FCO lights to compensate. Where
> compensation is not necessary, the same result is still there, but to the
> observer there is this need to install more to satisfy the rational of
> perceived common sense.
>
> Such as you see in Washington state, where they have opted to put a light on
> almost every pole. This to me seems to be excessive to my way of thinking,
> and completely defeats the point of saving energy.
>
> Your thoughts? Or for that matter anyone's thoughts?
>

> Clear Skies!
>
> Paul Greenhalgh (Director)
> Fraser Valley Astronomers Society
> British Columbia Canada